Procedure for Change of Name in Electricity Bill of MSEDCL (Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd.), Mumbai

Procedure for Transfer of Electricity Connection of MSEDCL Mumbai

In this post, I am going to write down detailed procedure for changing name in Electricity Connection Bill of MSEDCL in Mumbai. This is based upon my personal experience, which I faced when I purchased a flat in resale in Mumbai during 2012.

You can download required forms from website of MSEDCL

In my case all officials I dealt with were honest and I was never required to pay any chai-paani (bribe) etc. But no doubt the process was lengthy and there were 4-5 steps involved in it. And in my locality I had to visit 3 different offices (In vicinity of each other though not in same complex) for accomplishing the same. In your case all three might be in same complex depending upon the area you live in.

You will require following list of documents in case of purchase of flat :

  1. Application Form for Change of Name
  2. Form A1 (Only first page is required to be filled)
  3. One passport size photo pasted on Form A1
  4. Form-U (It contains NOC which is to be signed by Old Consumer)
  5. Undertaking from a New Consumer on Stamp Paper of INR 100 (Format given as Annexure-A in Form-U). It is for the purpose of indemnifying MSEDCL.
  6. Identity Proof (PAN/UID/Driving License/Passport etc) with your correct Name.
  7. Notary Attested copy of Sale Deed/Agreement of Sale of Flat
  8. Copy of latest Electricity Bill along with copy of Payment Receipt of the same.
  9. Copy of Society Share Certificate if issued/ Letter from Society on its Letterhead acknowledging that you are the current owner as per their records and MSEDCL can transfer connection in your name. (Documents in Step 9 are not mandatory, as I got it transferred without submitting these)

You can start with the process even if it is taking time for you to gather all above documents. Following steps depicts the whole process:

  1. First step is to get the meter testing done by Electricity Supply office of your area. To achieve this you have to follow these steps:
    1. Visit Electricity Supply office with copy of your any electricity bill, there a person of Engineer rank will issue you Challan Form for Meter Testing, on which he will fill your Consumer No, Meter No, Address etc. and will sign it. On this form, he may write either your name or old consumer’s name, which does not matter. Ensure your consumer No. is correctly filled on this. He will also mention a fee of INR 100 in it as Meter Testing Charges.
    2. Now take one photocopy of the Challan Form signed by Engineer earlier and go to Bill payment counter (which may be in separate office). Show them Challan and its photocopy and pay INR 100 there. He will give you receipt of paid amount and will also fill the receipt No. on Challan Form and may retain the photocopy of Challan with him.
    3. Now take one photocopy of both receipt and Challan Form. Go back to Electricity Supply office and submit Original Challan Form along with copy of receipt and copy of your electricity bill too technician there. Their technician will visit your society in next 3-4 days for meter testing (seems they have some machine with which they check whether meter is running fine or not) and will submit testing report to you at home. If you usually don’t stay home try to convey him that you don’t stay at home in office hours and will collect testing report from his office personally.
    4. In next 2-3 days technician may visit you and give you report or else you check with him personally and collect the testing report. Sometimes these technician may handover you testing report on the same day even without visiting your society, depends upon your luck. On this testing Report you have to get signature of Engineer again who issued you earlier Challan.
  2. Now with this testing report, Challan, copy of receipt of 100/- and along with all the nine documents listed above in the post you have to visit their Customer Service Office. There supervisor will check all your documents and if they are in order, he will retain all the documents and will issue you another Challan for transfer charges of INR 25.
  3. Now take photocopy of this challan form and again visit the bill payment counter for depositing INR 25 for transfer fee (Similar to step 1.B above). He will retain the copy of challan and will give you receipt of 25/- and will also mention receipt No. on Challan. Now take the copy of this challan and receipt for your own records and submit the originals back to the Customer Service Office where they will attach these with earlier submitted documents.
  4. Now process from your side is done and MSEDCL employees would change name in their records in next 8-10 days. Though there is acknowledgement format given at the end of Form-U, they didn’t give me any acknowledgement of Documents submitted. After 15 days my electricity bill got issued and I got relieved to see my name on it and thus electricity connection got transferred to my name.

Other Points to be Noted:

  • On Form-U, you have to take signature of old consumer on No objection on transfer of connection and deposit amount in your name. If it is not possible for you to take his signature as he might not be reachable by you, even then also I guess there is no issue in transferring connection to your name, as you submit undertaking on stamp paper for indemnifying MSEDCL against any claim.
  • Someone also told me that if you carry society’s letter and old consumer’s NOC then you don’t need to submit undertaking on stamp paper. I am not sure about this , it is better to submit this as well as this is not difficult to make.
  • I had to pay very nominal charges only 125/- for which I got proper receipts but the process was very cumbersome. Be patient while following his lengthy process because in the end it would be done.
  • In Maharashtra there is trend of adding Father’s name or Husband name as your middle name. If you don’t want that then keep the Father’s name column empty in Form A-1.

Please give your feedback and add comments about your experience of transferring electricity connection in your name.


36 thoughts on “Procedure for Change of Name in Electricity Bill of MSEDCL (Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd.), Mumbai

  1. Thanks for writing the procedure to change the name for Electricity connection for MSEDCL Mumbai in so much detail. Had been very helpful.

  2. In one MSEB office, they are asking for old receipt for security deposit Other wise I have to pay again Rs. 3000 against security deposit. is it really required for the change of name?

    • There are two options:
      1. Previous owner takes the refund of deposit
      2. Previous owner agrees to transfer deposit to new owner.

      In first case, receipt has to be given for taking refund.
      In case deposit is to be transferred to new owner, there is no need for receipt. This is what i heard from other’s experience and I myself also was not required to give any receipt. Nobody stores receipts so i guess it’s not justified to ask for receipts. Monthly bill has already record of deposit paid. They can’t ask you to pay again for deposit in any case.

  3. Thanks will follow the guide lines mentioned by you. it is indeed very useful. If possible can you also put which location your house was in and which offices you visited ?

  4. You have written very nice post and its surely helpful .
    I am in process of buying an old flat from a party(current owner of flat).
    This party had bought the flat from a builder in the year 2003.
    But still the bill is not transferred from builder to the party’s name.

    Now i am going to buy flat from this party(2012).
    Do you think the steps mentioned by you will also work in my case.Because it seems complicated. I don’t think so the bill will get directly transferred to my name . Can you please advice me about this ?

    • Dear Ganesh
      Thanks for the appreciation.
      But I really don’t know how your case will be handled. Usually transfer from Builder to First owner happens in bulk process carried out by the society itself. As in your case it has not happened earlier.. Not sure how will MSEDCL going to handle it. May be seeing chain agreement of sale and submitting indemnity bond by you, they might just accept your application even without NOC from the Builder.

      Please do check with the MSEDCL and please write your experience afterwards for help of others.

  5. Thanks for the valuable insight into the process.Any idea what to do in case the old consumer has expired what needs to be done. The flat got transferred to my mom’s name after his death, but we did not bother to get the eletricity bill changed, Now we are thinking of transferring the same.


    • I guess death certificate, proof of flat transfer in your Mom’s name should be required. Have u done the process

  6. i have purchased a flat in 2012 but my owners electric meter has been taken away as he had not paid the bill.Now since he has payed the bill now .so what is the process to get the meter again
    and after that the said process i would undrgo..

  7. is the indemnity bond on Rs.100/- to be notarized. when i went to get my work done the official at Bhandup insisted on notarized indemnity bond but not a notarized agreement copy. i guess he will ask for it when i go to submit the documents. another way of harassing a customer. that’s the same idea in having the customer run around to 3 different offices for getting the papers and making payment.

    • Yes Mr Kumar , I guess all affidavits whenever we submit to any office are notarized. So better to get it notarized before submitted. I don’t remember my case now as it was long back. Yes visiting 3 different offices is really painful…

      Hope this post guided u well for this cumbersome process. If found any other difference in process as mentioned here.

      • it’s only a guess that all affidavits submitted to any office has to be notarized. there’s no official document which says so. that’s beside the point. i intend to fight till such a cumbersome process is modified and made customer friendly. i shall continue to write to the top management of msedcl in this regard till i get a response other than a stale bureaucratic one.

        thank u very much for ur post and ur prompt response to my query.

  8. Thanks for your Information
    just giving you overview of my scenario.
    I have purchased flat in 2011. since it was not transferred on my name (my ignores). now i am in process of transfer the electricity bill. currently the bill is in the name of seller party. i would be transfer the security deposit on my name as i have good understanding with seller. my query is

    on ‘FORM’ “U” .CHANGE OF NAME ‘ 3 rd section says

    3) No objection certificate of the Person in whose name the.Connection
    Stands and consent for transfer of Security Deposit.

    Above section having 2 paragraph (A and B)

    should i required fill both or any one or Annexure A is enough.

    please do reply .. i would be highly appreciate


  9. Can you teach me how to make blog? If you have any note related to generation of search engine please forward me on or else you can try this number 09579129188 . Really great blog! Please I would like to learn it.. Help me friend

    • Yes NOC on written page separately is also suffcient.
      But still fill rest of FOrm U and also attach indemnifcation bond…

  10. HI Atul,
    MSEB demand 2500 ( 2000 Security deposit + 500 surcharge) asking for old receipt for security deposit if i want exemption.Seller party do not have receipt as he purchased from builder and now builder does not entertained.

    MSEB must have record of old deposits however they are charging security deposit unnecessarily..

    can i get some info on this…where should i approched…

  11. thanks for the info. but now the MSEB authorities at Bhandup are demanding that even the indemnity bond should be notarized. this will cost another Rs.300/- or more. can you clarify if this is a necessary step. thanks.

  12. Hi Atul,

    Hats-off to you that you got through the govt. works smoothly.
    I had been searching over the net for some guidance on Change of ones own Name in MSEDCL and I was very happy to see your detailed post! Thanks!

    However, in my case I wish to change my own name in MSEDCL records; for some reasons, I have changed my name. I already have the electricity bill in my old name since last 3 years.

    For proof of name change I have:

    1. Maharashtra Govt. Official Gazette Notification – Would the copy of this do or original? I can submit original.
    2. Driving License in my new name
    3. Recently I got done an affidavit for Change of Name as per Passport office requirement. I also have notarised attested true copy of the affidavit (Is this really required since Form-U 2 e. clearly states Affidavit / Gazette (so it is any one) for Documents Required to be submitted by New Consumer.

    I had undergone an ordeal last year when I did submit the documents personally. The officials here in Pune are so unapproachable and did not seem to know anything clearly. They finally accepted the self attested copy of the Gazette notification (name change) alongwith the other docs.
    But when even after 6 months also, I did not see any change, I found out that now my billing center had been transferred and the documents were also given to them only. And I have to check with them. So in all this my change of name was not done only.

    I understand that when it is a new consumer, an affidavit would be essential. But for changing ones own name when Gazette is there then this should not be required (that is what I believe) but do not know whom to approach regarding this as making an affidavit where it is not demanded for is just a waste of money. It is only the passport office which does not talk about Gazette Notification as I believe it is at the citizenship level! PAN office, Driving license office, Adhar, even Banks accepted my Gazette then why not MSEDCL?

    An agent is charging Rs. 1200/- to get this done. I am so confused as to what I should be doing. Through this post, I hope to get some guidance into change of ones own name in MSEDCL; it would be great help please.

    Thanks in advance to bear with my long email!


  13. Hi.. I had one query..
    If I have purchased new flat with my wife’s name are first applicant and my name as second applicant as per registration, by whose name would MSEB issue the meter?

  14. Perfect. Your blog inspired me to go for this change on my own and avoid any tout/chaipani…

    Even I will appreciate the change that MSEDL has brought in. Last week went to apply for name change at Bhandup center. The process was very smooth. Unbeliveable customer friendly staff at the center. Except the duplicate photocopy step, it was just a matter of half an hour!!! I guess if someone from MSEDL is reading this then they can even make this simple, by printing two copies of receipt in first place and avoid a duplicate step in the process. Actually, being computerised process, not sure why they need to take two hard copies, in the first place :). Anyway, won’t drag on this as its a very minor point considering the overall change they have brought it.

    Just FYI…a tout i met at some other place wanted to make me pay Rs. 1200 for this entire process, which I could do in Rs. 50!

    Now, its wait n watch to see the actual results on my next bill.

  15. Hi All,

    There is a GR by Maharashtra Government (Thanks to CM Devendra Phadanavis) issued on March 09, 2015 that states that unless required by Law, plain paper self-declaration should be accepted in any State Government Offices.

    I took the copy of GR to MSEB office in GaneshKhind, Pune office, when I was submitting application for Meter Transfer (this is in Oct 2015). I explained my case to chief engineer and other three officers in office that “Plain paper Indemnity Bond” is equally acceptable and they should not force me for bringing “non-judicial paper notarized” affidavit for indemnity bond in light of this new GR.

    They had to eventually accept my argument and accepted my paperwork with “Plain Paper Indemnity Bond” signed by me (NO notary or anything).

    Just wanted to let you all know that it is “NOT Necessary” (Law does not require it) to bring Notarized Affidavit. Just go in office and show them this GR. If they still deny, ask to give them their denial in writing.
    If we don’t fight this nonsense “Affidavit:” Requirements, tomorrow they may ask for another affidavit to declare that the “Indemnity Bond Affidavit” is TRUE. There is no end to it. Each of their forms already has “indemnity text” embedded in it. So, actually, there is no need of even “Plain Paper Indemnity Bond” either.
    Do your own bit to fight this lethargic bureaucracy, which drains honest, law abiding citizens like us for no good reason.

    Note: You can locate and download GR (PDF) from website below:
    Put From and To dates as March 9, 2015 and search. You will get PDF in “General Administration”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s