Procedure for Transfer of Electricity Connection of MSEDCL Mumbai
In this post, I am going to write down detailed procedure for changing name in Electricity Connection Bill of MSEDCL in Mumbai. This is based upon my personal experience, which I faced when I purchased a flat in resale in Mumbai during 2012.
You can download required forms from website of MSEDCL
In my case all officials I dealt with were honest and I was never required to pay any chai-paani (bribe) etc. But no doubt the process was lengthy and there were 4-5 steps involved in it. And in my locality I had to visit 3 different offices (In vicinity of each other though not in same complex) for accomplishing the same. In your case all three might be in same complex depending upon the area you live in.
You will require following list of documents in case of purchase of flat :
- Application Form for Change of Name
- Form A1 (Only first page is required to be filled)
- One passport size photo pasted on Form A1
- Form-U (It contains NOC which is to be signed by Old Consumer)
- Undertaking from a New Consumer on Stamp Paper of INR 100 (Format given as Annexure-A in Form-U). It is for the purpose of indemnifying MSEDCL.
- Identity Proof (PAN/UID/Driving License/Passport etc) with your correct Name.
- Notary Attested copy of Sale Deed/Agreement of Sale of Flat
- Copy of latest Electricity Bill along with copy of Payment Receipt of the same.
- Copy of Society Share Certificate if issued/ Letter from Society on its Letterhead acknowledging that you are the current owner as per their records and MSEDCL can transfer connection in your name. (Documents in Step 9 are not mandatory, as I got it transferred without submitting these)
You can start with the process even if it is taking time for you to gather all above documents. Following steps depicts the whole process:
- First step is to get the meter testing done by Electricity Supply office of your area. To achieve this you have to follow these steps:
- Visit Electricity Supply office with copy of your any electricity bill, there a person of Engineer rank will issue you Challan Form for Meter Testing, on which he will fill your Consumer No, Meter No, Address etc. and will sign it. On this form, he may write either your name or old consumer’s name, which does not matter. Ensure your consumer No. is correctly filled on this. He will also mention a fee of INR 100 in it as Meter Testing Charges.
- Now take one photocopy of the Challan Form signed by Engineer earlier and go to Bill payment counter (which may be in separate office). Show them Challan and its photocopy and pay INR 100 there. He will give you receipt of paid amount and will also fill the receipt No. on Challan Form and may retain the photocopy of Challan with him.
- Now take one photocopy of both receipt and Challan Form. Go back to Electricity Supply office and submit Original Challan Form along with copy of receipt and copy of your electricity bill too technician there. Their technician will visit your society in next 3-4 days for meter testing (seems they have some machine with which they check whether meter is running fine or not) and will submit testing report to you at home. If you usually don’t stay home try to convey him that you don’t stay at home in office hours and will collect testing report from his office personally.
- In next 2-3 days technician may visit you and give you report or else you check with him personally and collect the testing report. Sometimes these technician may handover you testing report on the same day even without visiting your society, depends upon your luck. On this testing Report you have to get signature of Engineer again who issued you earlier Challan.
- Now with this testing report, Challan, copy of receipt of 100/- and along with all the nine documents listed above in the post you have to visit their Customer Service Office. There supervisor will check all your documents and if they are in order, he will retain all the documents and will issue you another Challan for transfer charges of INR 25.
- Now take photocopy of this challan form and again visit the bill payment counter for depositing INR 25 for transfer fee (Similar to step 1.B above). He will retain the copy of challan and will give you receipt of 25/- and will also mention receipt No. on Challan. Now take the copy of this challan and receipt for your own records and submit the originals back to the Customer Service Office where they will attach these with earlier submitted documents.
- Now process from your side is done and MSEDCL employees would change name in their records in next 8-10 days. Though there is acknowledgement format given at the end of Form-U, they didn’t give me any acknowledgement of Documents submitted. After 15 days my electricity bill got issued and I got relieved to see my name on it and thus electricity connection got transferred to my name.
Other Points to be Noted:
- On Form-U, you have to take signature of old consumer on No objection on transfer of connection and deposit amount in your name. If it is not possible for you to take his signature as he might not be reachable by you, even then also I guess there is no issue in transferring connection to your name, as you submit undertaking on stamp paper for indemnifying MSEDCL against any claim.
- Someone also told me that if you carry society’s letter and old consumer’s NOC then you don’t need to submit undertaking on stamp paper. I am not sure about this , it is better to submit this as well as this is not difficult to make.
- I had to pay very nominal charges only 125/- for which I got proper receipts but the process was very cumbersome. Be patient while following his lengthy process because in the end it would be done.
- In Maharashtra there is trend of adding Father’s name or Husband name as your middle name. If you don’t want that then keep the Father’s name column empty in Form A-1.
Please give your feedback and add comments about your experience of transferring electricity connection in your name.